First “Derivatives and Financial Instruments” award
Derivatives and Financial Instruments is an IBFD periodical which provides authoritative, up-to-date information and sharp analyses for tax professionals and financial market experts around the world.
We would like to invite both subscribers and non-subscribers to join us in our first writing competition. The topic of the competition is related to one of IBFD’s research subjects set up by our new academic chairman, Prof. Pasquale Pistone: Financial Transaction Taxes.
Together with various prestigious universities, IBFD is coordinating a collaborative research project on Financial Transaction Taxes and, more specifically, on the impact of the newly proposed EU directive on this matter. In the framework of this project a conference will be held in Madrid on 17 February 2014.
The participants of the competition should write an academic analysis on the proposed topic of between 4,000 and 10,000 words. The subject may be approached from different angles. Authors could think of:
- Historical development of financial sector taxation
- Different techniques of financial sector taxation and current bank levy initiatives in various European countries
- Relation between the FTT and other European initiatives such as the Bank Recovery and Resolution Directive
- Economic and business analysis and the practical impact on the financial industry (not only institutions but also financial sectors like repo and lending industry, investment funds, etc.)
- Impact of the proposal for EU and non-EU financial institutions
- Legal analysis of the EU proposal on taxing the financial sector
- FTT as a model for global taxation of the financial sector
The contributions should be sent to Saskia Belt before 6 January 2014. The subject of the email should include “Competition DFI”. Articles will be judged by a jury nominated by the editorial board of DFI and chaired by Prof. Pasquale Pistone.
The winner will receive:
- A certificate of the award
- An amount of EUR 500
- A paid trip, accommodation included, to attend the Madrid conference on Monday 17 February 2014
- An invitation to present the paper in that conference
- Publication of the article in IBFD’s Derivatives and Financial Instruments
If the winner is also a doctoral or a post-doctoral researcher and provided he/she meets the other requirements, he/she will also be invited to join IBFD’s Doctoral Research Students Meeting or Post-Doctoral Early Career Scholars Meeting, taking place in the first semester of 2014.